Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My grandma should be my ideal

I really think my grandma's one smart cookie. We recently celebrated her 90th birthday, TOUCH WOOD, and at that age she's far more health than her daughter (my mom) -- BIG TIME TOUCH WOOD.

My point is, I need to learn from her this thing called "how to look after yourself, respect your body, and have fun". She's had a good pampered childhood, but loaded with activity for the kind of conservative era she lived in -- she cycled, climbed trees, an swam too, among other things. She ate calorie rich food and lots of daiy.
Post marriage, life was tough at the in-laws where she slogged in the kitchen, slaved for hours at the grinding stone, preparing food for a large joint family. Life was good in the later years when, for the first time, perhaps in her late 30s or early 40s she bloated into a barrel.

Now she's back to her dancer look -- she's got the narrowest prettiest waist in the family, stands quite tall, hasn't bent over. She never misses her morning walk, unless she's unwell or its raining. She loves her pastries and chocolates and will never say no to one. But if she eats even a morsel more than her normal meal -- which is mainly cooked vegetables, rice, rasam and curd -- she'll simply skip the next meal. Once a week, she skips dinner -- her upavasa on Saturday night. She gives in to temptation easily, enjoys and savours her food. But knows when to stop and say no.

I wish I could follow her principles....

Diary Day 3
7.45 am - warming up exercises and yoga again today but couldn't exercise continuoysly thanks to Sonny who wanted some attention in between.
9. 30 am - one yelakki banana
10 am -- breakfast -- one bowl avalakki upma (poha) and one slice brown bread, one glass tea.
1.30 pm - lunch - two chapatis, gorikai palya (clusterbeans curry with tomatoes and onions), five spoons of curd rice (its one-fourth of what i would normallly eat-- the curd rice quantity)

My aim so far has been to cut down portion sizes. Where I would earlier eat breakfast in a large plate, I'm trying to eat out of a bowl in an attempt to cut down the size of its contents. So in that sense I'm not eactly making any dramatic changes. I have reduced the quantity of oil with which i cook -- while earlier i would pour oil into the pan/kadai from a nozzled-bottle to make subjee, i now measure out the oil in spoons -- two for rasam/sambar, three or four for subjee (for two meals for hubby and me -- both of us carry our lunch to work and eat dinner at home usually).
What I'm also deperately trying to do is cut down the quantity of rice i eat and increase the helping size of  vegetable and dal/rasam -- this is so difficult, because rice is my comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment