Monday, May 2, 2011

Starting on a new weight loss (hopefully) journey

The blog's title is self-explanatory.
The blog's URL explains my problem most vividly -- I'm always WAITING to lose weight and almost always doing nothing much to help it.

The last one week I have spent very seriously mulling over my life, how I want to be as I grow older, and realised my health has always been a sore point.
A lot of my problems stem from my rather sedentary life, absolute lack of exercise, sheer laziness, and a weakness for fried food and sweets. That, everyone will agree, is a deadly cocktail of a problem.

It has left me overweight most of my life -- I've moved from wanting to shed just 5 kilos to now about 8 to 10. This is after all the BMI calculation, visits to doctors for all sorts of problems. All the arrows pointed to the same thing -- exercise, lose some weight, maintain it and get healthy.

Easier said than done.

There are a whole lot of thoughts I need to put down on this, but I'm going to start off today with my "food/activity diary" for today. I don't know if I'll post it everyday. I'll try. Just as I will try to seriously get into an exercise regimen, just as I will hopefully eat sensibly and healthily.

I'm going to be 33 in a few months. I weigh 62.9 kilos (as of yesterday) and I'm 5 feet and a little less than two inches tall. That makes me, on an average, overweight by about 12 kilos technically. I'll be lenient and say 10. I've had a child three years ago and I have the most jiggly wiggly lower belly fat that disgusts me. Other gory descriptions in the following posts.

The last three days I've been reading Rujuta Diwekar's book "Women and the weight loss tamasha", highly recommended by the best friend. I've just made it up to page 75, so I'm not going to make too many comments on that right now, except to say that most of what she says sounds senseible. I'm first of all trying to follow her reccomendation of trying to eat smaller amounts of food every two hours.

Let me make some things clear
1. I am not embarking on any fad diet
2. I'm NOT going to simply change my food and sit waiting to lose weight
3. It does not mean I'm enrolling in a gym today. But I will slowly begin to build up some exercise regimen for myself.
4. I'm no expert and I'm going to try and find my way around this, like most people do.
5. I will not harm myself in any way in this process and will consult a doctor/dietician if things begin to go wrong.

Diary May 2, 2011
7.15 a.m. -- started with basic stretch and warming up exercises for 30 minutes.
8.45 a.m.-- ate a yelakki banana
9.40 a.m-- breakfast -- two onion dosas (rice/urad/maida/besan-mix) with half-spoon ghee and groundnut chutney powder. Half a glass of milk tea with Sugarfree. (I would earlier easily eat 3 or 4 dosas)
12.30 pm-- mid-morn snack -- 3/4 th of a methi khakra
2 p.m. - lunch -- two wheat chapatis with a cup of bhindi (okra/ladies finger) curry (homemade), quarter cup raw banana (balekai) subji (from our office canteen), a small bowl of salad (cherry tomatoes/yellow capsicum/cabbage/cucumber). (I would earlier also have curd rice with all this for lunch).
It's now 3.30 p.m. and I have to go down for my glass of tea. It's an addiction. I don't know how I'll hold up till tonight. Will edit this entry and complete the diary tomorrow.

Yeah, so completing it:

3.30 p.m. - one mug of tea
5.30 p.m. -- a few almonds and black currants
7 p.m -- one cup poha and a few spoons of salad (corn/cucumber/pomegranate) and a square of dark chocolate (ummm i'm not really dieting, am i!?)
9.30 p.m. -- one egg roll, one bowl rice eaten half with dal and half wih curd.

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Small tip from back when I was working. Pack 2 extra dabbas for yourself. One will have unsalted raw walnuts/almonds/dates/raisins/figs (easy on the cashews!). They are huge energy boosters esp around 5 or 6 pm when hunger pangs strike!!! Another dabba will have a fruit or veg salad - for whenever you want to snack. That way you stop yourself from having tea/coffee/some other stuff from cafeteria.
    I'm sooo glad to read that you are being sensible about losing weight and looking at it from a long-term health perspective. I'm anal about people eating right and exercising right.
    All the very best! I'll be closely following this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, all the very best on this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aparna and Uma, thanks for the encouraging slap on the back.

    Yes Aparna, thanks for sharing that. I did carry some almonds and black currants yesterday. Very helpful. Am carrying it today too. Will add your other suggestions soon...thanks a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there, Came across your new blog - looove your explanation of the title :).

    In Rujuta's earlier book ( I've just started the second one) - Don't lose your mind, Lose your weight - she mentions eating something within 15 minutes of getting up - it really does help the digestion too i felt. Maybe the yelakki even before the exercise?

    All the very best - I'll surely be a frequent visitor, and looking for inspiration too :).

    ReplyDelete